50 State Clubs
The 50 State Club consists of running a marathon is each state the United States. As crazy as it may sound, the 50 State Club has two major different groups: the 50 States Marathon Club and the 50 States and DC Marathon Group USA. One of the 50 State Clubs is very rigid, while the other 50 State Club more on the informal side. The more rigid 50 State Club has strict guidelines and a validation committee which is the 50 States and Marathon Club, while the other 50 State Club, 50 States and DC Marathon Group USA; is on the honor system. I have to say that I am going for the honor system 50 State Club.
It is not that one The 50 State Club is better than the other, but rather they offer different membership status depending upon what you personally are looking for in a The 50 State Club.
I currently am not looking for validation from a 50 State Club validation committee to justify my running a marathon, or in my case 50 to 100 miles; in a particular state.
Here are links to both major 50 States Clubs web sites:
Hawaiian Shirt Ray and the 50 State Club
As stated above, joining the 50 State Club is not a current specific goal of mine. However, I can’t say that the 50 State Club is not in the back of my mind to run a Marathon (or longer) in every state. I also have one international race in Liechester, England.
50 State Club
1) Columbian River Gorge Marathon, OR, 1999
2 ) Denver Marathon, Denver, CO, 2000
- Boulder Backroads Marathon, Boulder, CO, 2002
- Denver Marathon, Denver, CO, 2008
- Leadville Trail Marathon, Leadville, CO, 2009
- A Run Through Time Trail Marathon, Salida, CO, 2010
- Leadville Trail 100 Mile: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
- Leadville 50 Silver Rush 50 Mile: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
3) Flying Pig Marathon, Cincinnati, OH, 2006
4) Tucson Marathon, Tucson, AZ, 2006
5) Grand Teton Trail Marathon, Grand Targue, WY, 2007, 6th place overall, 1st in age 40-49
6) Running From an Angle Marathon, Lake Mead, NV, 2008, 3rd place overall.
7) Austin Marathon, Austin, TX, 2008
8) Bataan Death March Memorial Marathon, White Sands Missile Range, NM, 2008
9) Rockin K Trail Marathon 50 Mile Trail Race, Kanoplois State Park, KS, 2008
10) Berryman Trail 50 Mile Trail Race, MO, 2008
11) Mickelson Trail Marathon, Deadwood, SD, 2009 (I ran it twice for 52.4 miles)
12) Mega Fat-ass Capital Peak 50k Trail Race, Olympia, WA, 2009
13) Moab Red Hot 50k+, Moab, UT, 2009
14) Three Days of Syllamo, 26.2 Miles, 50 Miles, 18k, AR, 2009
1) Leicester Marathon, Liecester, England, 2009
2) Ultra Trail Du Mont Blanc, August 31 – Septenber 1, 2012