1 cup peeled, finely cubed ginger root
3 cups water
1 cup sugar
Additional sugar by weight of cooked ginger root
- Peel ginger root and finely cube.
- In a covered sauce pan, bring the water to a boil.
- Add the ginger pieces and sugar and cover, reducing the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let steep for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Drain the ginger pieces from the sugar water. If you are going to make ginger ale save the ginger sugar water.
- Weigh the ginger pieces and place them in a sauce pan with the same amount in weight of sugar.
- Add 3 Tablespoons of water to sauce pan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, and then reduce heat keeping the mixture simmering.
- Constantly stir the mixture until all the liquid has evaporated. This can take about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Separate the crystallized ginger from the sugar and let cool.
- Store in an air tight container.