2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp soda
1 tsp ginger (you can add more ginger if you want)
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt
½ cup shortening (I use real butter)
¼ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
¾ cup molasses
1 egg beaten
½ to ¾ cup crystallized ginger (optional)
½ tsp grated lemon rind
1 tsp hot water
1 tsp vinegar
- Sift the flour with the soda, spices and salt.
- Cream the shortening and add the sugar, creaming until mixture is fluffy.
- Add the molasses and egg and beat until smooth.
- Fold in the sifted dry ingredients gradually, then add lemon rind, water and vinegar and blend thoroughly. If you have crystallized ginger add it now.
- Cover the ginger dough and chill.
- Roll out small portions of the ginger dough on a floured board to ¼ inch thickness.
- Cut cookies using a cookie cutter and transfer carefully to greased, floured baking sheets.
- Bake in a moderate oven (350°F) for about 8 to 9 minutes. (The original recipe calls for 20 minutes, but I find that for ultra trail running it is easier to eat the gingerbread cookies when they are softer).